Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Dad's a Satanist


About 3 weeks ago on a Wednesday afternoon, a 17 year old high school student walked onto our church campus with a lot of questions. He had just moved here from LA because his parents recently divorced and they are living with his Mom's new boyfriend down the street from the church here in San Antonio. He sayed he had not been to a church since he was 5 and didn't know why he was there but he was curious. It was an incredible moment for me in ministry as I watch our High School students embrace him, teach him how to play basketball, and share the gospel with him. In the past 3 weeks it's been an incredible journey watching him slowly begin to understand God, Jesus, salvation, and community. I actually got to hear him say his first prayer to God just last night. Just yesterday after our Wednesday night Bible Study he asked Diego and I if he could talk to us and that he needed to share something with us. He said: "My Dad's a Satanist and he's very mad that I'm coming to church." He followed that by saying: "I now believe in God and Jesus but I feel that accepting His grace by making Him my Lord would be turning my back on my Dad. I just don't know what to do." What do you say to that? We encouraged him, we prayed for him, and we'll continue to embrace him into our community of faith. I would love to hear what you would say and how you would respond.

No comments: