Thursday, November 5, 2009

How 5 High School Guys Had a Quiet Time for 30 Days in a Row


I don't know how many times I've challenged students to have a quiet time every day. As passionately as the challenge might have been, it never happened... until now. I lead a small group of 5 Junior and Senior guys who are passionate Christ followers but like so many of us, struggled to have a daily quiet time. When I laid out the challenge again, my co-leader of the small group, Diego, suggested that we text each other every day what scripture we studied each day. As a form of accountability we would all text anyone else in the group that night if we hadn't received their scripture for the day. I threw in a little extra incentive of buying the guys a steak dinner if they all held true to this challenge for 30 straight days. Over 60 days later, not one of those guys has missed a quiet time. I can't tell you how challenged, encouraged, and inspired I am every day as I receive those 5 text messages every day. A few weeks ago, I bought them the steak dinner. It was one of the best steaks I've ever had with some of the best company I've ever been with! A month after the challenge was over with no incentive of a steak, these same men of God continue to dive into God's Word daily. I love when technology and ministry collide! This is a form of encouragement and accountability that I will use for years to come!

No comments: