Monday, November 9, 2009

Church Online: Is it really church?


I watched a clip online this morning from CNN discussing online church and an interview with Pastor Craig Groechel from LifeChurch.tv. For the past year I have become fascinated by the idea of church online and asking the question: Is it really church? I'm fascinated when I think about the possibilities of a global congregation! I'm inspired when I think about worshipping at the same time in the same place (kind of) as someone on the other side of the world. I've actually begun experimenting by broadcasting our college ministry, Segue, live through LiveStream.com. We've had up to 50 people join us on a Monday night at one time from New York, Brazil, China, and even here in San Antonio. I've had people tell me that they checked us out online before making the decision to actually come on a Monday night. As I continue to consider the idea of this new form of church, I continue to be intrigued. LifeChurch.tv has one of the most incredible online worship experiences that I've begun participating in regularly. I would even go as far as to say that while I might not be as engaged to the presentation, I am more engaged with the congregation than I am in an in person worship experience. Have you ever tried church online? What do you think, is it really church? Why? Why not?

2 comments:

Coby said...

I've recently started broadcasting a small group on ustream.com. There are 4-5 people who gather in person and 4 or so who gather online. The folks who gather online share more than they do when I lead a bible study with them in person. I think it's a brilliant tool for ministry.

Nils Smith said...

Thanks for the comment Coby! I find that to be so true through internet community that people are so much more open. It amazes me how students who I can't get two words out of on Sunday morning will initiate and carry on a long conversation on Facebook chat. I'd like to try ustream for a small group, sounds like a great idea!