Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Why do Bad things happen to Great people?

Matt Chandler - Update #2 from Josh Viveros on Vimeo.

Why do Bad things happen to Great people? This question seems to go round and round and it doesn't matter how well scripted of an answer that a Christian might have, it still hits all of us in the midst of tragedy. We all know people who would seem less deserving than us that seem to receive greater blessing and we have all seen tragedy strike people that are genuinely Great people. Why?

I don't think I could begin to explain why, but as I've been experiencing bad things happen to Great people recently I've been able to watch God use those situations in powerful ways. Recently a friend from High School, Joe Houston, was in a tragic plane crash losing his life and leaving behind his son and fiance. Joe seemed to have a great life ahead of him when tragedy struck. Even more recently I've learned of Matt Chandler having a seizure on Thanksgiving Day to later find out that he now has cancer. As I think about these two men it brings me back to the same question: Why?

I read these words in Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." These words can be hard to understand at times, but I believe them whole heartedly. As I followed the search for Joe online and the dialogue after finding his body, I watched God's powerful movement through Jenn's Facebook and their blog. In the midst of such tragedy, God worked in and through Jenn's and others words that will forever affect my life and I know so many others. As I'm watching Matt Chandler face this tragedy in his life, I'm watching an incredible movement online through his Twitter and blog. It's hard to answer the question why but it's incredible to watch God work good into situations that seem so bad.

No comments: