Saturday, February 13, 2010

Finding the 1


This past Monday I had the privilege of co-teaching with my sister at Segue. She taught the ladies while I taught the guys. We shared the same basic outline, here it is:

Goin’ All The Way: Finding the One


New Theory: Find The One, then the two

We must first be right in our relationship with God before we can think about being in a right relationship with someone else. When we begin to understand that God is our number 1 and our future or current spouse is our number 2, our relationships will be revolutionized.

How to find The One?

Galations 2:20:
“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

It doesn’t sound very nice but it is. When we want to live for Christ, we must die to ourselves.


How to fall in love with The One?

When we begin a dating relationship it always seems to consume our lives. We make the time to get to know that person. Our relationship with God should consume our lives in an even greater way. Great ways to do that:

1. Read the Word
2. Pray
3. Be adventurous and creative
4. Learn everything there is to learn about Him
5. Talk with others about Him (Community)


Becoming the Two as you Prepare for your Two

1. Let the past go!

Romans 8:1-2-
“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.”

1Corinthians 5:17-
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is anew creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”

You are NOT who you were. Let it go!

2. Be ready to lead you wife and family as a man of God should (be ready now… don’t wait.)

Ephesians 5:22-27

Be ready to lead with love!

3. Start Praying for Him/Her Now

1:46 Challenge --> Read 1 Cor 13:4-6 (love chapter) and pray for him/her every day.


4. Surround yourself in Accountability and Community

Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.”



Going after The One

The best way you can do that is to focus in on the One that really matters. Fix your eyes on Him... He will work it out.

We all quote Jeremiah 29:11, but we leave out the best part v12-14:

“For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. --> Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you and I will restore...”

Prayer Activity: Take some time, spread out and surrender. Ask Him to be Your One. Pray that He would make you fall in love with Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.