Saturday, February 13, 2010

100 Fastest Growing Churches


I'm always interested to see the list of who the fastest growing churches are every year in Outreach Magazine. As I read about these churches I love to see what makes them unique and what I can learn from their tremendous growth. I also love reading all things Ed Stetzer who helps to lead this research. I remember reading an article about Austin Stone Community Church after making the list and their pastor, Matt Carter, saying that they should have been listed as one of the "crappiest church in assimilating growth." While it's interesting to check these churches out, it's also important to maintain perspective and know that while they grew a lot this past year that doesn't necessarily mean that they have it all figured out and that we should just copy them. While I don't think numbers are everything, they are very important. I heard Rick Warren share his response to a pastor who told him he doesn't count attendance... he asked him if he counted the offering. Numbers are important and I desire to be a part of a church and ministries that take growth seriously. I will be eager to hear your thoughts when it comes to church growth.

1 comment:

Becky Kiser said...

that's a really great perspective on church growth. i've always felt uneasy about numbers and counting, but this has helped me to better see the value.