Friday, January 8, 2010

New Facebook Technique: Sniping


Last night when I was on Facebook I was sniped by my friend Jaime Puente. He taught me a new technique that he coined "sniping". You see Jaime has a goal to get people to go and vote for his commercial, "Casket". If you read my previous post about Vote for Casket you can find out more about his project. So he needs people to go daily to the website www.CrashtheSuperbowl.com to vote for his commercial "Casket" so that it will be aired during the Superbowl. Instead of just sending out a mass message he's chosen rather to snipe. His technique is to watch the Chat board and see who is online. As new people pop in he immediately sends them a quick message (a snipe) that says: "Have you voted for my video yet today? Go to www.voteforcasket.com. While this could obviously get obnoxious if overly used, when you need action asap this technique is genius! I'm definitely going to try this during a live feed of one of our services soon! I apologize if I snipe you and it's unwanted, but I hope if I do that it leads you to respond to my request. It definitely has more effectiveness than hoping that your status shows up on someone's news feed.

How about you try it? I believe getting people to vote for casket is a great cause. See how many people you can snipe and vote everyday for this commercial! You can used bit.ly to create your link and see how many people actually go to the site. Leave me a comment and let me know how well this technique works for you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Genius, pure genius. It worked on me and Nils... your hot.

Nils Smith said...

Thanks on both comments J.C.! Have you tried sniping yet? See how many people you can get to go vote!

Nils Smith said...

So it looks like Facebook doesn't appreciate snipers. Here's the message I recieved after a few minutes of sniping:

Warning! You are engaging in behavior that may be considered annoying or abusive by other users.
Facebook's systems determined that you were going too fast when sending web addresses (URLs) though chat messages. You must significantly slow down. Further misuse of site features may result in a temporary block or your account being permanently disabled. For further information, please visit our FAQ page.

Robert Worsham said...

it got me and now i voted. great technique my friend